Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Elizabeth Swann Costume Studies Part 4 - Gold Gown

The first gown we see the grown up Elizabeth Swann in is a gorgeous gold gown given to her by her father. The details and fabrics are exquisite! I look forward to one day making this dress! I am not going to go into great detail of the dress here since there are already some great costume studies on this dress which I will refer you too, but let's take a look!
'Bring Me That Horizon, The Making of Pirates of the Caribbean' By Michael Singer, describes this gown as follows: "Reproduction eighteenth-century material, a silk taffeta that's so light that when its made it doesn't feel enormous. I think the overall effect is that while this is something that a father might wish for his daughter to wear, it's not necessarily what a daughter would particularly choose."
The stomacher is intricately beaded: There is a great diagram of the beading by Anna O. HERE.
The back of the bodice:

 Elizabeth's fan is decorated with little sequins (and yes sequins are historically accurate!) And a pretty lace trim.
 Earrings:
 Necklace:
 Shoes:
For in depth study notes I highly recommend visiting Costumer's Guide's page, there are notes from  the exhibit, pattern reviews and lots of great high resolution photos! I also recommend The Peacock Manor's page on her replica of the costume...she has some great pattern ideas and notes!

3 comments:

  1. I think the overall effect is that while this is something that a father might wish for his daughter to wear, it's not necessarily what a daughter would particularly choose.

    Ha, quite the opposite in my family.

    I love that, even if they went with snaps to put on the stomacher, it still looks like a separate thing and part of the closure rather than the panel it usually is in movie costumes.

    The fan is accurate, but it's accurate to the end of the century rather than the 1740s-1750s, when I think the movie's set. I'd expect a midcentury fan to have a painted scene on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress, think it might be my favorite in the movie, which is really saying something! I'd really like to recreate it someday... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I pay for have this dress, (the Glold Gown)
    Thanks, super job!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

Although I continually talk about movie costumes on this blog, I am not a movie reviewer. Not all the films I discuss are recommended and I do not choose to review weather they are appropriate or not for the simple fact that every person's standards are different. Something that is fine for me may be offensive to some one else and visa versa. If you would like to look into the appropriateness of a title, I recommend pluggedinonline.com. I have not seen all the movies I discuss, and am simply interested in the art of clothes in film. I will leave you to decide for yourself if you will watch the movie or not.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin