Monday, January 16, 2012

Great Expectations: Herbert Pocket

I was able to watch the new Great Expectations and although it was really well done and the costumes and sets were beautiful, it wasn't my favorite, a little too creepy and depressing for me. But...I am a sensitive movie watcher. I get easily creeped out! I would still like to read the book one day and maybe see the other version coming out with Helena Bonham Carter. (Thanks Kiri for telling me about this one!) 
 However, the redeeming point for me was getting to see Harry Lloyd (the beloved Will Scarlett in BBC Robin Hood) play a role that, in my opinion, suited him perfectly! His character, Herbert Pocket, is the brightest part of the movie and made it worth everything else. Not to mention, he's a direct descendant of Charles Dickens himself which just makes him all the more deserving of the role. He should be in more period drama, it suits him.

6 comments:

  1. I'm excited about seeing it! Where did you watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I didn't realize Lloyd was a Dickens descendant! I liked seeing him as a sympathetic character, as - though I watched Robin Hood and loved him in it - the two characters I associate him with most are Baines, from Doctor Who (where he was REALLY WEIRD and possessed by an alien) and Viserys, from Game of Thrones (where he was incesty and crazy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, I watched it on YouTube but they took it off right after I finished it. :(

    Mimic of Modes, I think the roles of Will Scarlett and Herbert Pocket fit him much better than the crazy roles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is to say, It suits him when... his tailor is in a right mind to make his clothes not eat him. *cheese* I can't wait to see him as Mr. Pocket! But I do think that "beloved Will Scarlett" will always be his best roll. :)
    Thanks for the update!
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you didn't like it very well! Dickens does deal with a lot of creepy and depressing topics... And yet we all still love him anyway! :)

    I'm really looking forward to seeing it when it plays on Masterpiece Theater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely read the book! It is my favorite of Dicken's novels. Much less creepy than they make it out to be on film! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

Although I continually talk about movie costumes on this blog, I am not a movie reviewer. Not all the films I discuss are recommended and I do not choose to review weather they are appropriate or not for the simple fact that every person's standards are different. Something that is fine for me may be offensive to some one else and visa versa. If you would like to look into the appropriateness of a title, I recommend pluggedinonline.com. I have not seen all the movies I discuss, and am simply interested in the art of clothes in film. I will leave you to decide for yourself if you will watch the movie or not.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin