Monday, June 15, 2009

BBC Robin Hood Character Costume Study Season 1 Part 8 - Robin Hood

Robin Hood Costume Study
Robin Hood Season One
Robin Hood, Earl of Huntindon and Lord of Locksley, played by Jonas Armstrong, gives up all he has so he can fight for justice and feed the poor. He takes his job seriously but there's still time to have a little bit of fun. :)
And where would this outlaw be with out the wonderful Maid Marian? Together they make a great team in the war against poverty and the Sheriff.
In Season One Robin is a soldier returning home to England from the Crusades. His costume gives him an upright military figure look and has echoes of the crusades with a hint of modern.

Under Shirt
Robin's undershirt is basically like a sleeveless t-shirt.


Shirt
I'm not sure what Robin's shirt is made of. Could be a knit or linen...I can't tell. It's frayed around the neckline...he's rocked this shirt for awhile!

A gauze like knit fabric in strips wraps around the sleeves...I LOVE this:
The edge of the sleeves are really frayed like the neckline:
I think this is a different shirt or else the same one with out the fabric strips wrapped around the sleeves.
Back:
Green Shirt
Robin's green shirt is pretty much the same as his white one:
The neckline doesn't look frayed yet:
Same gauze/knit strips wrapped around the sleeves:
Here you can see how the fabric is connected in the shoulder seam and he then wraps it around and ties it:
Vest
Robin's vest is made of a what looks like a heavier fabric and has a solid front and back. It laces up the sides to get on and off:
He wears it with his white shirt:
And green shirt:
Leather Vest
Robin's over vest worn over his hoodie is made of dark leather and has medals attached to the front left side:
There is zig-zag stitching down the front and around the hood:
In these photos you can see the stitching on the inside and the orange lining:
His hood has a slash through it...
So his quiver can fit through it:
Clever! :)
So then he can hide in his enormous hood:
And pull it down quick to scold Much for being too noisy:
Grey jerkin/waistcoat
I think this is my favorite article of robin's wardrobe...I love this grey and all the straps and buckles:
And of course there's a place for his quiver in the back:

Hoodie
Robin's hoodie is made of a greenish brown fabric and laces up the front half way:


Hood on:
Detail of trim around hood and front lacing:
The hood laces up the back so it can be undone and fit his quiver through it:
Trousers
Robin's trousers remind me of buckskin pants:
They lace up the sides and front and back:

Cape

Robin's cape reminds me of Allan's, it looks like it's similar fabric. Closes with an awesome circular buckle:
Still room for his hoodie to pop through to give his head a cover:
Earl of Huntingdon
Robin is graced with a cape made of pelts when he returns home to Locksley:


Gaurd Disguise
Robin "borrows" some chanmail to try and save three lives:

Check out those awesome gloves:

Accessories
Recurve bow:
Studded belt:
All his belongings can be slung around his shoulder:
Scarfs:

Quiver
Robin's quiver is made of leather stitched with a whip stitch down the sides.
Here you can see it fits through the lacing in his hood and straps on the shoulders and I'm guessing the bottom strap fits like a belt:
Shoulder straps:
Pretty cool. :)
And that's it for Robin Hood and Season One! I hope you've enjoyed it! I've had fun researching...I'm sure there's tons I've missed, maybe I'll update as I learn more. If there are any characters I missed that you were dying to see more of their costumes just let me know and I will try and come up with something! :)
I'm excited to get started on Season Two!

19 comments:

  1. Oh Robin! I love his costumes! I'm sort of weirded out by all the modern twists in the costumes in these shows! It took a bit of getting used to. But now that i'm in it, i cant get out and everything i design is ether made of knit or snakeskin print.. HA HA HA! just kidding! But I'm cereal, I cant get Knit out of any costume piece! I's almost annoying.. I still happen to like it though. don't know how that works. ah well i shall stop jabberin' and take my self off. I must go to bed and sleeeeeep! love you to the moon and all around the stars!
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! How cool are those outfits? I can't believe how many neat details I never noticed - especially the openings for his quiver and et cetera. So awesome. :)

    Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such amazing costumes. Lovely post. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'And a cleverer man would sing fewer songs!'
    Wonderful post Anna! I never noticed about the opening for his quiver either! So cool! And although I haven't been wanting to make things out of snakeskin print... =] I really love the costumes from this show!
    Good job!
    ~Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh! whoever did the wardrobe for that show deserves an award. now i need to watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! This is so awesome! My 11yo son wants to dress as Robin Hood this year... I was looking for screenshots to make my copy of the costume and I stumble across your post. What a treasure trove! Thank you sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I could help! Your son will look so awesome...Robin Hood is the best choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who made clothes on Robin Hood BBC ? i have DVD but the name of the girl is not gived. Thx. :)

    griphine [at] gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm okay, it's frances tempest but she don't have shop :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tony, the costumes were designed by Frances Tempest (13 episodes, 2006)
    Howard Burden (13 episodes, 2009)

    and the team is as follows:

    Series Costume and Wardrobe Department
    Mari Csáki .... dresser / set supervisor (13 episodes, 2007)
    Fraser Purfit .... costume supervisor (13 episodes, 2009)
    Zsoka Hoka .... costumer supervisor / costume supervisor (8 episodes, 2006)
    Zsófia Federits .... costume supervisor / wardrobe supervisor (8 episodes, 2007)
    Ann Taylor .... costume supervisor / assistant costume designer (6 episodes, 2006)
    József Lender .... dresser (3 episodes, 2006)
    Chrissy Szucs .... costume supervisor (3 episodes, 2006)
    Rosie Grant .... additional costume (3 episodes, 2009)

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, i'll look all informations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. where i can by this costums?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riri, I don't think there is any place to buy this costume ready made, you would probably need to have a seamstress make a replica for you. There are lots of costumers on Etsy that might be able to do it.

      Delete
  13. Augh...I wish I could find better detailed pics of the quiver...

    Going through the series and collecting sections to get good views...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How have i never come across this!!! Love it and now going on to the other characters, its really intresting to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. could you please do one of these Costume Studies for Marian in the series? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The reason I haven't done any costume studies for Marian is because my friend Amanda Beth already has done some wonderful costume studies which you can view here: http://www.amandabethonline.blogspot.com/search/label/Maid%20Marian%27s%20Wardrobe

      I may do some in the future if I end up making any of her costumes but I don't have plans to right now. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  16. Hi,

    I dont know if my post worked last time so I'll try again.


    I was really impressed by the costumes and I was wondering if you made them "on demand" - in my case, a BBC Robin Hood "hoodie.

    Is it possible? If yes what would be the costs?

    Email me for details if it is indeed possible.

    Thanks a lot!

    -Ben C.

    ps. By the way, its the RH costume study that caught my eye - it was really cool (I'm the biggest of RH fans).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am also a huge fan, and just like you i am looking for the exact same thing. i was wondering if you were ever able to find robin's hoodie?
      -Lindsey M.

      Delete

Disclaimer:

Although I continually talk about movie costumes on this blog, I am not a movie reviewer. Not all the films I discuss are recommended and I do not choose to review weather they are appropriate or not for the simple fact that every person's standards are different. Something that is fine for me may be offensive to some one else and visa versa. If you would like to look into the appropriateness of a title, I recommend pluggedinonline.com. I have not seen all the movies I discuss, and am simply interested in the art of clothes in film. I will leave you to decide for yourself if you will watch the movie or not.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin